Dos and Don’ts (Foods to Avoid)
Here are a few tips to follow on a day-to-day basis to protect your braces. These dos and don’ts will help when figuring out what foods to avoid, or how to go about your day to day business with your new braces.
- Protect your smile. If you’re an athlete, protect your new smile with a mouth guard.
- Avoid Sticky Foods. This includes (but is not limited to) marshmallows, caramel, jelly beans, Milk Duds, gummy bears, Fruit Roll Ups, candy bars with hard nuts or caramel, Tootsie Rolls, Laffy Taffy, Starbursts and any other sticky foods.
- Avoid Hard Foods. This includes (but is not limited to) corn on the cob, hard nuts, beef jerky, hard candy and ice cubes.
- Avoid High Sugar Foods. If you do eat or drink high sugar foods, please brush your teeth immediately. Get into the habit of carrying your toothbrush and toothpaste with you at all times. If it’s not convenient to brush your teeth, rinse your mouth with clear water after eating sweet foods.
- Modify Your Food. You may eat the following foods, but please modify them to decrease potential damage to your braces.
- Apples – cut into small pieces
- Raw Veggies – cut thin or small
- Meat on the Bone – remove meat from the bone
- Hart Toast or Bread – take small bites
Be considerate of your braces and wires. We do use the finest, most modern braces and adhesives available. Please follow all of our braces tips. However, if something does break, please call us for an appointment. Although broken brackets or poking wires are not an emergency, they can interfere with progress and extend your treatment time. If this occurs, we would like to see you as soon as possible to keep you comfortable and on track.
Call 1-844-9SMILES or contact us online to schedule your orthodontic appointment at American Dental Solutions.